One Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken & Rice
Prep time: 15 mins. Cook time: 45 mins. Total time: 1 hour.
Recipe type: Main
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2-garlic clove, minced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1½ -2 teaspoons creole spice (adjust to taste with salt)
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 13.5 oz. can (1¾ cups) coconut milk
- 15.5 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon white ground white pepper
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2½ cups chicken broth or water
- 1-teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoons paprika (optional)
Jerk Chicken Thighs
- 2½ -3 pound chicken thighs (about 5-6)
- 1½ -teaspoon salt
- ½-teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Jerk Seasoning (Homemade here)
- Jerk Chicken Thighs
- Wash chicken thighs, for faster cooking make a ½ ” slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt (about 1½ teaspoons)
- Rub both sides with generous amount of the spice blend. Or your favorite spice mix
- Place chicken skin side up in a skillet / Dutch oven or oven safe pot/pan for about 3 minutes each, be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F
- Meanwhile place the rice into a large bowl, cover with cold water and use your hands to wash the grains. Tip the water out then repeat twice until the water runs clear.
- Wipe pan with paper towel or napkin to remove any burns from pan.
- Add about 2 Tablespoons oil, followed by onions, thyme, garlic and sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Then add rice, beans and all the remaining ingredients, Chicken stock,Coconut milk, paprika, white pepper, salt and bouillon. Add chicken, bring to a boil.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove let it cool and serve.